One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1The art or activity of creating woven baskets.
- ‘Traditional crafts include knotted and woven carpets made from wool or goat hair; basket-weaving; pottery, silver jewelry; intricate embroidery; and brassware.’
- ‘It is more than teaching skills, such as archery or basket-weaving.’
- ‘For example, basket-weaving construction can be found in homes of the eastern province, while construction using mud-covered small branches can be found in the rest of the country.’
- ‘If you want to get good at something (karate, basket-weaving, asking out girls, etc.), practice it.’
- ‘These include hat-making, drum-making, basket-weaving, and the carving of dugout canoes.’
2humorous Used as the type of college course that is thought to be without any practical or professional value.
- ‘Studying Electrical Engineering is not like taking Basket-Weaving 101!’
- ‘If your transcript is filled with easy A's, such those as earned in classes like the fabled Basket-Weaving 101, you'll likely be ranked below a student who has a lower GPA comprised of courses in the hard sciences.’
- ‘When I was in school, we called this kind of course Basket-Weaving 101 (actually, we did not have any courses this absurd, but some were almost as easy as this one seems to be).’
- ‘Those college classes you took...must have been History of Rock N' Roll and basket-weaving 101, right?’
- ‘So even though they fail a core class, they can still get an A in "basket-weaving 101" or "making balloon doggies" 102, and pass to the next grade.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.