Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
1The art or activity of creating woven baskets.
- ‘For example, basket-weaving construction can be found in homes of the eastern province, while construction using mud-covered small branches can be found in the rest of the country.’
- ‘These include hat-making, drum-making, basket-weaving, and the carving of dugout canoes.’
- ‘If you want to get good at something (karate, basket-weaving, asking out girls, etc.), practice it.’
- ‘Traditional crafts include knotted and woven carpets made from wool or goat hair; basket-weaving; pottery, silver jewelry; intricate embroidery; and brassware.’
- ‘It is more than teaching skills, such as archery or basket-weaving.’
2humorous Used as the type of college course that is thought to be without any practical or professional value.
- ‘So even though they fail a core class, they can still get an A in "basket-weaving 101" or "making balloon doggies" 102, and pass to the next grade.’
- ‘Studying Electrical Engineering is not like taking Basket-Weaving 101!’
- ‘When I was in school, we called this kind of course Basket-Weaving 101 (actually, we did not have any courses this absurd, but some were almost as easy as this one seems to be).’
- ‘If your transcript is filled with easy A's, such those as earned in classes like the fabled Basket-Weaving 101, you'll likely be ranked below a student who has a lower GPA comprised of courses in the hard sciences.’
- ‘Those college classes you took...must have been History of Rock N' Roll and basket-weaving 101, right?’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.