One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1The art or activity of creating woven baskets.
- ‘These include hat-making, drum-making, basket-weaving, and the carving of dugout canoes.’
- ‘If you want to get good at something (karate, basket-weaving, asking out girls, etc.), practice it.’
- ‘Traditional crafts include knotted and woven carpets made from wool or goat hair; basket-weaving; pottery, silver jewelry; intricate embroidery; and brassware.’
- ‘For example, basket-weaving construction can be found in homes of the eastern province, while construction using mud-covered small branches can be found in the rest of the country.’
- ‘It is more than teaching skills, such as archery or basket-weaving.’
2humorous Used as the type of college course that is thought to be without any practical or professional value.
- ‘Those college classes you took...must have been History of Rock N' Roll and basket-weaving 101, right?’
- ‘If your transcript is filled with easy A's, such those as earned in classes like the fabled Basket-Weaving 101, you'll likely be ranked below a student who has a lower GPA comprised of courses in the hard sciences.’
- ‘So even though they fail a core class, they can still get an A in "basket-weaving 101" or "making balloon doggies" 102, and pass to the next grade.’
- ‘Studying Electrical Engineering is not like taking Basket-Weaving 101!’
- ‘When I was in school, we called this kind of course Basket-Weaving 101 (actually, we did not have any courses this absurd, but some were almost as easy as this one seems to be).’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.