One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
One hundredth of one percent, used chiefly in expressing differences of interest rates.
- ‘Each percentage point of inflation is associated with a 146 basis point increase in the earnings yield.’
- ‘Fifteen-year fixed mortgage rates also declined one basis point, to 5.14%.’
- ‘Adding these factors, you might expect us to show modest declines in our net interest margin of about a basis point a quarter this year.’
- ‘A basis point is one hundredth of a percentage point.’
- ‘The prospect of a 75 basis point interest rate cut had investors breathing easier by late last week, but it was another tough week overall, especially for tech investors.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.