One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A membrane in the cochlea that bears the organ of Corti.
- ‘The preparation included the modiolar bone, basilar membrane, and overlying organ of Corti of a half to a full turn.’
- ‘Standard theory states that cellular structures in the organ of Corti move in unison as a rigid body, around a hinge point located at the attachment of the basilar membrane to the bony core of the cochlea.’
- ‘The realization that outer hair cells pump the basilar membrane is also leading to a revised theory of cochlear mechanics.’
- ‘The organ is located on the top of the basilar membrane showing a characteristic vibration pattern when being stimulated by incoming sound.’
- ‘Like the mammalian cochlea, the alligator lizard cochlea is driven by pressure differences across the basilar membrane.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.