One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Change into a base; alkalize.
- ‘Ammonia was convenient for basifying the filtered extracts, although other inorganic bases should have worked also.’
- ‘You may need to redissolve in hot water, basify to 9 or 10, add a non-polar solvent, and extract the solvent layer weekly for 3 weeks.’
- ‘In addition, the process offers unique opportunities to directly acidify or basify process streams without adding chemicals, avoiding by-product or waste streams and costly downstream purification steps.’
- ‘After removal of the Zinc by filtration, the filtrate was basified with concentrated NaOH and extracted with three 50-ml portions of ether.’
- ‘Conventionally, chrome tanning consists of pickling, tanning and basifying.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.