Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Change into a base; alkalize.
- ‘Conventionally, chrome tanning consists of pickling, tanning and basifying.’
- ‘You may need to redissolve in hot water, basify to 9 or 10, add a non-polar solvent, and extract the solvent layer weekly for 3 weeks.’
- ‘In addition, the process offers unique opportunities to directly acidify or basify process streams without adding chemicals, avoiding by-product or waste streams and costly downstream purification steps.’
- ‘After removal of the Zinc by filtration, the filtrate was basified with concentrated NaOH and extracted with three 50-ml portions of ether.’
- ‘Ammonia was convenient for basifying the filtered extracts, although other inorganic bases should have worked also.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.