One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Change into a base; alkalize.
- ‘You may need to redissolve in hot water, basify to 9 or 10, add a non-polar solvent, and extract the solvent layer weekly for 3 weeks.’
- ‘After removal of the Zinc by filtration, the filtrate was basified with concentrated NaOH and extracted with three 50-ml portions of ether.’
- ‘Conventionally, chrome tanning consists of pickling, tanning and basifying.’
- ‘In addition, the process offers unique opportunities to directly acidify or basify process streams without adding chemicals, avoiding by-product or waste streams and costly downstream purification steps.’
- ‘Ammonia was convenient for basifying the filtered extracts, although other inorganic bases should have worked also.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.