The initial period of training for new personnel, involving intense physical activity and behavioral discipline.
- ‘To qualify for basic training, cadets must meet a range of physical measurements.’
- ‘Many soldiers are counting down to their last day in the military from the first few hours at basic training.’
- ‘If qualified mentally and physically, you then go to boot camp for basic training.’
- ‘It should also be noted that during the basic training period new applicants are recruits rather than serving soldiers.’
- ‘He underwent basic training for the Royal Marines but decided a military career was not for him.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.