One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1A member of a Muslim people living in the southern Urals.
- ‘Initially, Bashkirs sought to realize their aspirations by turning to the Whites, but it was not long before reform-minded Muslims and political radicals turned to the communists.’
- ‘These diverse groups lie scattered from the Caucasus and Ural mountains to eastern Siberia, and include the Tatars, Chuvash, Bashkirs, Sakha, Tuvans, Karachai, Khakass, Altays, and others.’
- ‘Today, Islam is the second largest religion, after Russian Orthodoxy, with at least 19 million practitioners, and among ethnic minorities most Tatars, Bashkirs, Kazakhs, Chechens, and Avars, are Sunni Muslim.’
- ‘While Felix Cheremnykh is an ethnic Russian, Renat Udarov and Marat Mimlikeev seem to be ethnic Tatars or Bashkirs.’
- ‘He attracted a following of peasants, Old Believers, Ural mineworkers, and non-Russians such as Bashkirs and Kalmyks.’
2The Turkic language of the Bashkirs.
- ‘Bashkir is spoken principally in the Russian Republic of Bashkortostan.’
- ‘Bashkir (also referred to as Basquort/Bashkort) is spoken primarily in the republic of Bashkortostan between the Volga River and the Ural mountains in Russia.’
- ‘A Turkic language, Bashkir is spoken by one in four residents of Bashkortostan.’
Relating to the Bashkirs or their language.
- ‘Ufa, the capital of the Bashkir republic, became the wartime seat of the Soviet Ukrainian government.’
- ‘Moscow deliberately employed non-Russian troops to fight in Central Asia - Tatar, Bashkir, Kazakh, Uzbek and Turkmen detachments were pitted against the anti-Bolshevik invaders.’
- ‘The paper cited a source close to the Bashkir leadership as saying that Kremlin chief of staff Dmitry Medvedev had organized the Sistema deal.’
- ‘Ufa, with its significant Bashkir population, was one of three ARA districts inhabited largely by Muslims.’
- ‘A Rosneft spokesman did not deny the company was interested in the Bashkir assets, the paper said.’
Via Russian from Turkic Başkurt.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.