One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A common metal that is not considered precious, such as copper, tin, or zinc.
- ‘From its use in ancient Egypt and Rome into the current century, the base metal copper has maintained its technological importance.’
- ‘Within these belts, gold mineralization is associated with rare metals, base metals, uranium, antimony, and mercury.’
- ‘The prices of gold, copper and other base metals have been pushed to record highs by a combination of strong Chinese and Indian demand and speculative buying, but they could be vulnerable to a short-term setback.’
- ‘Anglo American's mining interests include platinum, gold, coal and a range of base metals such as copper, zinc and nickel.’
- ‘Alloy steel, copper, lead, zinc and base metals are basic raw materials used in a variety of industries.’
- ‘And the original law also excluded archaeologically significant coins of base metals, helmets of iron and bronze, and so on.’
- ‘Although the primary deposits from which azurite is derived commonly contain other base metals such as zinc and lead, secondary minerals of these metals are not typically in intimate association.’
- ‘Our economy is driven by diamonds, base metals, a little bit of precious metals, a few other commodities, fish, beef and tourism.’
- ‘A thin covering of pure silver is applied to a base metal, often copper or nickel, by means of electrolysis.’
- ‘He explained that Ongopolo mines and processes base metal, mainly copper, but also associated precious metals such as gold and silver.’
- ‘They spent the Middle Ages in candle-lit laboratories, laboring to brew universal elixirs and to turn base metals into gold or silver.’
- ‘It was, however, the increased need for base metals (lead, zinc, and copper) during World War II that sparked a renewal of interest in the Telluride district.’
- ‘Designs are able to encompass a diversity of materials, combining precious and base metals which are often flamboyantly coloured.’
- ‘Its focus is on gold but its portfolio also includes projects with potential for platinum group metals, copper, silver and base metals.’
- ‘Square-groove butt joints can be welded without filler metal in base metals up to 2.5 mm thick.’
- ‘Other advantages are produced in magnesium, gold, zinc, and other base metals.’
- ‘As the most industrialized country in the region, South Africa is a major exporter of precious and semiprecious metals, base metals, and mineral products.’
- ‘Since English hallmarking laws prohibited mixing precious and base metals in a single object, Americans were able to take the lead in popularizing mixed-metal objects.’
- ‘While she wasn't seeking to turn base metals into precious ones, her knowledge of practical botanical alchemy was thorough.’
- ‘In fact, copper and other base metals have eased to higher prices since that dramatic decline earlier in the month.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.