One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A military hospital situated at some distance from the area of active operations during a war.
- ‘He spent the next 4 hours at the base hospital for treatment and observation, and then returned to the line to continue his maintenance work.’
- ‘Of these one third received front-line treatment, two thirds were referred to base hospitals.’
- ‘Lieutenant Carberry had to be admitted to the base hospital set up at Columbus, suffering from a severe asthma attack.’
- ‘It operated fifty-eight domestic and overseas base hospitals for the military, twenty-four of them in France.’
- ‘She had problems handling the additional stress placed on her just by the trip from the base hospital to the flight line.’
- ‘He is currently in the psycho ward at the base hospital.’
- ‘A corpsman checked him out, found his pulse and blood pressure to be excessively high, and referred him to the base hospital.’
- ‘Later that night he made a trip to the base hospital, outside the back entrance he spotted two military vans with the rear doors open, from which large pieces of wreckage protruded.’
- ‘He is now in the base hospital in a critical condition.’
- ‘From 1917 to 1918, he was chief of a base hospital.’
- ‘Both were treated at the base hospital for smoke inhalation.’
- ‘He spent two years as an orderly at a base hospital in Normandy.’
- ‘There was no organisational structure in place to deal with the wounded and no ambulance corps to remove them to field or base hospitals.’
- ‘Sergeant Barrios said it was rough emotionally after the amputation, but his family, the base hospital staff, physical therapists, his unit Airmen and fellow dog handlers took care of him.’
- ‘They set up the base hospital and staffed it, and all AAF personnel were under the command of an American officer who worked jointly with the RAF commanding officer.’
- ‘Soldiers carried Scouts on stretchers to the base hospital, and others were airlifted from the event.’
- ‘Most of the Chinese wounded soldiers are not transported to base hospitals in the interior.’
- ‘The center is the second busiest department at the base hospital, second only to family practice.’
- ‘In case the patient needs surgery, he is referred to the base hospital.’
- ‘Doctors launched the indefinite strike on June 10 at all general and teaching hospitals and the strike was extended to district and base hospitals from June 11.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.