Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A fair ball hit such that the batter can advance safely to a base without aid of an error committed by the team in the field.→ hit
- ‘Before each series, we go over scouting reports that show where the other team's base hits go.’
- ‘Palmeiro has slapped what would be base hits, but the ball has rolled directly to the second baseman's new location.’
- ‘Consider an outfielder who cleanly fields a base hit and returns the ball to the infield.’
- ‘I got a base hit in the top of the eighth inning to put us ahead 1-0.’
- ‘Carillon sent 10 batters to the plate in the seventh scoring four runs on four walks, two base hits and two errors.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.