One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A store at a naval or air force base selling personal items, clothing, refreshments, etc.
- ‘They still shop at the commissary and base exchange.’
- ‘And when Clark is off duty, he contends with long lines at the barber shop waiting for a trim from the base's two part-time barbers, or lines at the base exchange reaching to the back of the store.’
- ‘Matthews bought a bag of more than 200 at the base exchange the next day and ended up passing them all out.’
- ‘Sheila Couzins purchased a red aluminum bracelet in 1985 outside the base exchange at Sheppard Air Force Base, Texas, while attending technical school.’
- ‘And the only place to ‘get away’ is the camp's church, base exchange or work.’
- ‘Self-service laundry rooms seem to always have an open washer and dryer; there is a base exchange, a movie theater, a library, a cyber-café and a chapel.’
- ‘After reading this story, I wonder If there will be any changes in the way we do business in our base exchanges and commissaries.’
- ‘To give the airmen a taste of ‘home,’ there's a post office, Laundromat, small base exchange, gym, library, consolidated club and dining facility on the American side of Ghedi.’
- ‘We had taught them how to make pizzas and sent them on sometimes dangerous missions to buy items at the Baghdad markets we couldn't get at the base exchange.’
- ‘Jannie Gooden and her daughter Monique, 9, shop for school at Camp Foster's base exchange.’
- ‘Already, a $16-million base exchange, post office and utility backbone are complete.’
- ‘In the Misawa base exchange, vendors sell floats of all sizes, some for as much as $50.’
- ‘Among buildings in full bloom are the new base exchange, fitness center, commissary, a school consolidating kindergarten through high school in one main area, collocated club and four modern dormitories.’
- ‘But the only shoppers at the naval base exchange store in San Diego are active or retired military personnel and their families.’
- ‘In stateside shoppettes, base exchanges and gas stations, store employees don't get the chance to interact with customers on a personal level.’
- ‘Sometimes this meant making the lunch run, or going to the base exchange for one of the officers.’
- ‘Although it was six miles from Keflavik, the site had its own base exchange, commissary, gym, theater and club.’
- ‘His only prior experience with the Air Force until Balad was shopping at the base exchange at Offutt Air Force Base.’
- ‘The Kaiserslautern Military Community is shifting its passenger service terminal, billeting, restaurants, theaters and a new base exchange to one central location.’
- ‘A new game hit the shelves of base exchanges in December when the Army and Air Force Exchange Service introduced Air Force Edition Monopoly.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.