One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A camp from which mountaineering expeditions set out.
establishment, base, campView synonyms
- ‘It's hot, dry and barren here, although the base camp itself is a bustling center of activity.’
- ‘As a result, Shanghai became a base camp for these people to sell counterfeit jewellery, bad cheques and drugs.’
- ‘The team established a permanent base camp in the mountain wilderness.’
- ‘The team will then set up several base camps before beginning the ascents up the mountains in the wildest and least accessible part of Scandinavia.’
- ‘To travel from the lowlands of Kildare to the base camp on the highest mountain in the world would be seen as a daunting task for most people.’
- ‘A lot of expeditions built base camps and refuges over the years, so it was perfectly plausible to have something like that survive, in the middle of nowhere.’
- ‘The first aircraft carried the personnel and equipment needed to establish the base camp.’
- ‘Lots of Yak trains on the way, Yaks being the only means of carrying large loads up to the villages and base camps of the various mountains.’
- ‘And last Tuesday, the charity also established a medical base camp in Matara, Sri Lanka.’
- ‘Already at the base camp, the first contingent of four officers and four sherpas has started climbing.’
- ‘She decided first to find a hotel and set up a base camp, and perhaps call Lazarus.’
- ‘Buses and jeeps ferried the participants from Dehradun to the base camp.’
- ‘Of those vehicles that don't, some number of them are things like tool trucks, communications vans or vehicles that don't leave the base camps.’
- ‘Improved protective designs for field fortifications and base camps have been developed for field forces.’
- ‘Of course, the base camp we used is not the Base Camp where everybody goes now.’
- ‘When she was only half way to her base camp, the six Centurions opened fire and a couple of shots just missed her!’
- ‘It didn't take long at all to find a ride up the river that would take him to the trail up the mountain to the base camp.’
- ‘The little Lama skillfully scoots patients to the medical and base camps.’
- ‘Then Georges and I will set up the first stationary at the base camp while you take the worker's gondola.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.