Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A type of cell in the innermost layer of the epidermis or other epithelial tissue.
- ‘There is another layer of cells between the basal cells and the keratin-rich epidermis known as spiny cells.’
- ‘Basal cell carcinoma is a tumor arising from the basal cell layer of the epidermis.’
- ‘At week 9, patchy staining was observed with a few clusters of cells within the basal cell layer.’
- ‘I have had two squamous cells and one basal cell cancer.’
- ‘The basal cell layer is attached to the basement membrane by specialized cell junctions that include both hemi-desmosomes and focal contacts.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.