A type of cell in the innermost layer of the epidermis or other epithelial tissue.
- ‘Basal cell carcinoma is a tumor arising from the basal cell layer of the epidermis.’
- ‘The basal cell layer is attached to the basement membrane by specialized cell junctions that include both hemi-desmosomes and focal contacts.’
- ‘There is another layer of cells between the basal cells and the keratin-rich epidermis known as spiny cells.’
- ‘At week 9, patchy staining was observed with a few clusters of cells within the basal cell layer.’
- ‘I have had two squamous cells and one basal cell cancer.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.