Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
An organelle that forms the base of a flagellum or cilium.Also called kinetosome
- ‘This is the most general and primitive form of a complex of the nucleus with (usually four) basal bodies and associated flagella, microtubular tissues and fibers.’
- ‘Centrioles have the same structure as basal bodies, but have no transition zone.’
- ‘Perl cells inspected at LDT 9 had one dense spot of staining near the basal body of the flagella and less-intensely stained particles elsewhere.’
- ‘It may imply some mechanical flexibility of the basal body structure against deformation in nanometer scales.’
- ‘The co-overexpression of all four proteins led to overproduction of membrane-associated, partial basal body structures.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.