A spiny, ribbed cylindrical cactus.
- ‘Today visitors can find cactus ranging in price from $2 to $2,000, and in size from specimens of Frailea no bigger than a thumb to a 40-inch-diameter golden barrel cactus that's 100 years old.’
- ‘You'll traverse a series of high valleys, ravines, and washes filled with a variety of plants, including purple barrel cactus and stands of ocotillos.’
- ‘Saguaro grows here, along with numerous smaller cacti, including teddy-bear cholla, beaver-tail cactus, California barrel cactus, hedgehog cactus, and various prickly pear cacti.’
- ‘There was neither road nor house, only a saguaro here, a barrel cactus there, a lot of sand underfoot, and even more sun overhead.’
- ‘He found a stick to use as a tool to knock open some barrel cactus so that he could eat the innards.’