Injury caused by a change in air pressure, typically affecting the ear or the lung.
- ‘The most dangerous medical problems are barotrauma to the lungs and decompression sickness, also called ‘the bends.’’
- ‘Inflation pressures for adults in excess of this are rarely beneficial, and the risk of barotrauma and gastric inflation are similar in adults and children.’
- ‘Once mechanical ventilation has been started, it is important to avoid high ventilator pressures and the associated risks of barotrauma.’
- ‘Traumatic perforations of the tympanic membrane can occur because of water accidents, barotrauma, explosions, penetrating injury, or temporal bone fractures.’
- ‘For this reason, it is important to monitor airway pressures during ventilation to prevent barotrauma.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.