Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
The area of open ground around a barn.
- ‘In the winter, we sledded from the top, over two terraces, and down to the barnyard next to the road.’
- ‘He led me out of the main barnyard, down the aisle to the fields.’
- ‘It's the story of a little pig and his friends in the barnyard, including a spider named Charlotte.’
- ‘A mile or so in, you'll come to Slide Ranch, where you can watch goats and chickens roam the barnyard.’
- ‘So with dirty clothes and feces in my teeth, I climbed on top of the fence with the gun and jumped on the back of one of the colts that were hanging around the barnyard.’
- ‘As the two approached the barnyard they slowed to a steady trot.’
- ‘After it seemed that I couldn't last one more second on a saddle, we broke through to a familiar barnyard.’
- ‘Run-off from barnyards, cropland, feedlots, septic tanks, and intensively managed turf areas such as golf courses can introduce large quantities of organic matter and nutrients into a pond.’
- ‘They walked all around the barnyard, Shiloh's head up high, looking at all the new surroundings.’
- ‘There was also fish from the pond and poultry and cows from the barnyard.’
- ‘The barnyard was situated behind the house with a good clear view of the winding highway that led out of Massillon and to places beyond.’
- ‘Once we find a narrow spot to park the car we emerge from the air conditioning to be greeted by the sounds and smells of a barnyard.’
- ‘So I went down toward the creek, and as I turned the corner by the barnyard I saw him down below, moving along a fencerow.’
- ‘Crossing the coastal plain on the heels of the main herd was a bit like walking through a barnyard.’
- ‘Farmers emptied their barnyards and built factory-size sheds in the rolling hills.’
- ‘He went to the screen door that looked out on the barnyard.’
- ‘Their farmstead and barnyard areas are immaculately tidy.’
- ‘Wounds sustained in barnyards or stables are considered contaminated.’
- ‘Proper grading and tiling can reduce wet barnyards.’
- ‘For efficiency, a pipeline must follow the lay of the land, cutting through barnyards and across cultivated fields.’
(especially of manners or language) characterized by a lack of propriety; coarse, indecent, earthy.‘a polite way of avoiding barnyard language’
- ‘I give it a 5 + for an excellently executed plot - great characters with much human realism but am disappointed with the common barnyard language.’
- ‘But to be sincere most of them are simply no good (I don't want to use a barnyard language here).’
- ‘What's that "barnyard" smell?’
- ‘Veterinarian Hwang brought barnyard ethics to the human lab.’
- ‘She is beautiful and exasperating, a little hellcat with barnyard manners.’
- ‘What is with you that you cheapen our good movies [almost good] with barnyard language.’
- ‘It's time these barnyard ethics are put to a stop.’
- ‘During the rut, bull elk have a very strong barnyard smell to them.’
- ‘Some cable-television viewers found Mark Fuhrman's words so offensive that they complained after hearing his racial slurs and barnyard language on Tuesday.’
- ‘His initial informality and later his barnyard manners in the Oval Office served to emphasize his status as interloper and to enrage them further.’
- ‘Accordingly, we say we struggle to curb base instincts, to avoid barnyard manners, and to rise above animal behavior.’
- ‘Finding the brutish leavings of people with barnyard manners in bathrooms and sometimes hallways is something that custodial staff have become accustomed to.’
- ‘We went through half a glass and I could not get past the barnyard smell.’
- ‘But the barnyard smell will not disrupt our bountiful Christmas breakfast.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.