One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
An informal social gathering for square dancing, originally held in a barn.
- ‘There is word about a barn dance coming to town but you'll read more about that next week.’
- ‘Cast and crew celebrated after the run with a Harvest Fest barn dance, which ran into the early hours of the morning.’
- ‘He looked like some weird gentleman farmer at a barn dance - ‘Hello, well done everybody‘.’
- ‘Mrs. Wilcock had told Thirza that her daughter Myra would be at the culmination of the weeks festivities which was a barn dance being held at the village hall on Saturday night.’
- ‘Finally he said, ‘There's going to be a barn dance in town tomorrow night and I was thinking that maybe you would like to go with me.’’
- ‘This year's event will conclude with a barn dance.’
- ‘Hamilton's hosted a spectacular old-fashioned barn dance over the weekend.’
- ‘A barn dance will take place in Kinlough Community Centre on Friday, June 20, commencing at 10.30 pm.’
- ‘A barn dance will be held at Hither Green Primary School to raise money for the charity Volunteer Reading Help, which supports children in the borough who find reading a challenge.’
- ‘In Grange Hall on Thursday, January 29, there will be a barn dance starting at 10 p.m. to raise funds for the N.W. Hospice.’
- ‘We ain't talking about a stolen kiss at the barn dance, y'understand.’
- ‘This would have been the first year I could have stayed at the barn dance all night.’
- ‘Those present were not shy when it came to singing, or using the floor, for a favourite barn dance played to the healing rhythm of the dancing flames flickering on the walls in the fading light.’
- ‘There will be a barn dance in Jack's Bar, Askeaton on Friday, April 16 in aid of the Special Baby Unit, Maternity Hospital, Limerick.’
- ‘If you're after a dance floor that is occupied by people who wouldn't look out of place at a church hall barn dance then this is the place for you.’
- ‘An enjoyable youth barn dance was held on Friday night in the Old Tithe Barn, Stanway, by kind permission of Mr Guy Benson and Lady Violet Benson.’
- ‘They also went to a couple of barn dances and a church picnic in town together.’
- ‘The couple are celebrating their anniversary on December 19 with a barn dance for friends and family this weekend.’
- ‘This is the band that provided such excellent music at last year's barn dance.’
- ‘Class distinction goes out of the window when Lords, Ladies, gamekeepers and farmers all wear Barbour to some country pursuit like a clay-pigeon shoot or barn dance.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.