One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A strong English ale.
- ‘German wheat beers are good with sweets, they said; Mackeson complements a ham sandwich; and barley wine with blue cheese ‘cuts through the fattiness better than any port’.’
- ‘Their favorite drinks are barley wine and tea with butter.’
- ‘That is going to open the floodgates for our customers to try barley wines and Belgian doubles and triples,’ Lane says.’
- ‘Robert Gagnon, owner of 24-tap The Gate Bar in Brooklyn, says ‘We consciously focus on the styles that don't come out consistently, like winter warmers and barley wines.’
- ‘We're also trying to serve the Belgian beers and big beers, like barley wines, in the traditional glasses.’
- ‘We always have a pilsner, pale ale, stout, a red or amber ale, a barley wine or strong ale, a seasonal beer and usually at least three IPAs.’
- ‘Brodrick has an ice beer festival planned in December, and likely will host a winter warmer festival in January and feature barley wines sometime in February.’
- ‘Extra strong ales and lagers, bock beer, Adam bier, and barley wine are the brandy, cognac, and port equivalents of the beer world, capable of Armagnac status on the tongue.’
- ‘I imagine that many a cup of mead or barley wine was raised at many a neolithic celebration to express a similar sentiment.’
- ‘A porter, having put a load of waste paper on the ground is eagerly quaffing this best of barley wine.’
- ‘Though a pate, rich and gamy in flavor, may require the creamy weight and tartness of a barley wine or bock beer.’
- ‘It has a strong taste, like most older ales, but is not like barley wine.’
- ‘For a squeamish diary writer it was enough to send me to the editor's well-stocked drinks cabinet for a nip of his favourite barley wine.’
- ‘The sergeant beckoned the waitress, ordered a barley wine for himself and a small bottle of that for his friend.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.