Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A bag provided to airplane passengers for use in case of vomiting associated with motion sickness.
- ‘Alyssa couldn't stop laughing as she handed me the barf bag and the airport doctors surrounded me.’
- ‘Considering what else a distressed passenger in need of a facility might have deposited in a barf bag, the man in question seems to me to be the acme of discretion.’
- ‘The convenience bag features a rigid mouth shaped collar that creates a facial seal to prevent missing the barf bag and to contain odor.’
- ‘It doesn't even have to be from a band you loved, just an album you bought that made you immediately reach for the barf bag or demand a refund.’
- ‘One of the ugliest cars ever made, the Gremlin was said to have been first sketched out on the back of a Northwest Orient barf bag by an AMC's chief designer.’
- ‘At the screening they were handing out boxes of Kleenex - they should have handed out barf bags.’
- ‘Don't know why an Egypt based airline uses a rose on their barf bags, unless it's a specially bred rose strain, able to survive in the desert.’
- ‘If you thought the precursor, House of 1,000 Corpses, was the equivalent of drinking the contents of a used barf bag, you may want to steer clear of this gruesome follow-up.’
- ‘I never need a barf bag, but I was wishing I had one at that moment.’
- ‘Sounds like the kind of movie you have to pack the barf bag for.’
- ‘No… I just think I need to get back to my room and… have a barf bag handy.’
- ‘Get your barf bags ready, there's a new gross couple alert circulating in Hollywood.’
- ‘It's hiring big-name designers to rework everything from pajamas to barf bags and trumpeting the service with an onboard storybook about its fab, pampered passengers.’
- ‘Cue the plaintive wail of a lone trumpeter playing ‘The Battle Hymn of the Republic,’ as through my patriotic tears I grab blindly for a barf bag and my passport.’
- ‘Parties that cater to the round-the-clock crowd need to embrace either light beers or barf bags (and enough urinals to handle the heat).’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.