One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Reveal one's innermost secrets and feelings to someone.
- ‘Nevin the wordsmith goes into overdrive as he pours out his heart and bares his soul in songs such as The One I Love, Absent Friend and Turn Around.’
- ‘The reason I am baring my soul about all this is to caution all the parents of primary schoolchildren out there: be careful what you say.’
- ‘Night after night there was someone baring their soul on national TV creating their own live and unplugged soap opera.’
- ‘I had extended myself, baring my soul to another who had once done the same for me.’
- ‘On that day I bare my soul, make myself vulnerable to friends and family by expressing my feelings.’
- ‘After all, if someone has bared their soul to you, albeit of their own accord, shouldn't you give a little bit of yourself in return?’
- ‘Springsteen, on the other hand, with often a simpler music, bares his soul, and tears out your heart.’
- ‘Funny, sharp, intelligent, a little bit guarded for someone who apparently bares her soul in her weekly columns for a Sunday newspaper, she's as friendly and down-to-earth as her books.’
- ‘Delving into echoes of his personal history, Campbell resists this alienation and bares his soul to readers and to the land.’
- ‘The anti-war agitator and an ex-Labour Party MP, George Galloway, bares his soul in an interview with the ‘Guardian’.’
- ‘Suddenly the safety of the anonymity is vanished and the person is left feeling somewhat vulnerable and exposed, as if they bared their soul to the world.’
- ‘And for not baring his soul to the media, he surely deserves a merit badge, not a mauling.’
- ‘He bares his soul before the judge, who holds the fate of his daughter in his hands.’
- ‘One difficult issue in making an autobiographical work is the fear of baring one's soul only to be told that one is self-indulgent or narcissistic, labels that are often placed on autobiographical works.’
- ‘Callers find themselves baring their soul almost without knowing it.’
- ‘Isaac Hayes bares his soul about everything from ‘Shaft’ to Scientology.’
- ‘What sort of person bares her soul to pollsters for upward of an hour - and during the holiday season yet?’
- ‘Perhaps you think baring your soul so poetically will make you irresistible, but to me it sounds condescending and self-deceptive.’
- ‘In Flavour of the Week, writer/performer Alix Sobler keeps her clothes on but bares her soul, playing a young woman who examines her love life while waiting for the results of her STD tests.’
- ‘Apart from baring my soul to the millions of people online - well the half dozen or so who read my thingy at least - I've not really done much.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.