One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Any of the minute hooked filaments that interlock the barbules of a bird's feathers.
- ‘Often part of a bird's incessant cleaning routine is the straightening of wing primaries, which seems to help reattatch the barbicels so the wings remain fully functional.’
- ‘Barbs can be separated from each other and smoothed back into place because barbules and barbicels act somewhat like a zipper.’
- ‘It is important for the feathers to be relatively broad, with a web of good firm texture, a strong shaft, the barbs, barbules, and barbicels closely and tightly knitted together.’
- ‘Two sets of barbules branch off from each barb and interlocked by means of tinier barbicels to give the feather great strength and smoothness.’
- ‘Along the edge of the barb are numerous barbicels, we refer to them as Velcro hooks.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.