Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A long metal bar to which disks of varying weights are attached at each end, used for weightlifting.
- ‘Volunteer teachers set up makeshift classes in the building's stairwell, in the hallway, and among the bench presses and barbells in a weight room.’
- ‘I started out on the shoulder press machine (three sets of about fifteen reps each, very light weight) and then went to the free weight barbells.’
- ‘Still, there are plenty of free weights, barbells and dumbbells.’
- ‘They hoist, hold and balance notes like barbells in a weight-lifting exhibition.’
- ‘Lifting a living, moving being is far more difficult than hoisting a barbell with a constant weight.’
- ‘Chip and Tony walked to the corner and started placing weights on the barbell.’
- ‘The exercise range in resistance training is quite broad, as there are dozens of individual exercises that can be performed with free weights (like barbells and dumbbells) as well as machines.’
- ‘You could pile a bunch of weight onto a barbell and crank out eight reps.’
- ‘Once you learn to perform the lunge with a solid technique you can add weight with a barbell or dumbbell.’
- ‘You don't put off lifting the weight when the barbells are in your hands.’
- ‘The numbers can be rounded up or down if the barbells and weights don't work out precisely to these amounts.’
- ‘Lift the barbell off the rack and balance the weight above your upper chest.’
- ‘This applies to squats, bench presses, curls or any exercise relying on a barbell or dumbbells.’
- ‘Bending his knees, he holds two dumbbells as though starting a barbell deadlift.’
- ‘Load a barbell with a weight that will allow you to get 15 to 20 reps, and place it on the floor at the end of a bench.’
- ‘Once you adjust your bench, you can choose between dumbbells or barbells as your weight of choice.’
- ‘You'll need a bench, a set of dumbbells, a barbell and assorted weight plates.’
- ‘I bring the weight up so close under my chin that if the barbell had an edge, I could shave with it.’
- ‘Squats are a great all round exercise for thighs, you can use hand weights or a barbell to work harder and they work the front and back of the leg as well as the inner and outer thigh.’
- ‘And yeah, handling heavy dumbbells, barbells and weight plates will improve your general forearm and grip strength.’
Late 19th century: from bar + bell.
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.