One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Wire with clusters of short, sharp spikes set at intervals along it, used to make fences or in warfare as an obstruction.
- ‘That's when I notice the perimeter fence has barbed wire and there are watch towers with armed guards.’
- ‘French troops guarding the base retreated behind fences ringed with barbed wire.’
- ‘She stared at the twisted barbed wire fence, that must have been knocked over long ago.’
- ‘On the right of it, was a parking lot surrounded by a chain fence and barbed wire.’
- ‘Stupid people behind picket fences and barbed wire fences voted for these stupid leaders.’
- ‘With respect, your Honour, there was no need to put barbed wire or spikes or adopt any of those measures.’
- ‘This sun loving plant is well suited to grow on both barbed wire or other fences, arbours and trellises.’
- ‘He had torn his pants crawling through one barbed wire fence, and cut his hand on another.’
- ‘A tall, impenetrable wall with barbed wire and sharp metal spikes on top surrounded the entire complex.’
- ‘One field skirted the edge of a primary school, which was fenced off with barbed wire and guard posts.’
- ‘Consider using barbed wire or razor wire at the top of fences for added security.’
- ‘Police believe the thieves cut their way through barbed wire and electric fences from the grounds of Pitsea tip.’
- ‘Youths were clambering over barbed wire fences, climbing through skylight windows and running amok in the dark.’
- ‘We put security around the place where we found it first of all just barbed wire fence and one guard.’
- ‘The barbed wire fences at its border were dismantled and guards were reduced to a minimum.’
- ‘The plant has a lot more barbed wire and fences than it did this time last year: I guess I know why now.’
- ‘After devoting 18 months to wiring Hong Kong with barbed wire, the island was attacked from the air.’
- ‘The security is immense, with rolls of barbed wire and an electric fence.’
- ‘The experience begins with the forbidding entrance, which is fenced with barbed wire.’
- ‘The long walk takes us to a tall brick building fenced with spiraling barbed wire.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.