One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A vertical line used in a musical score to mark a division between bars.
- ‘You have the voice moving free across the bar line.’
- ‘Here, the phasing occurs solely through human means, as the music gets pushed bit by bit ‘ahead’ of the bar line.’
- ‘As a result, notated bar lines may not match up to the bar lines one hears.’
- ‘Stopping before a bar line inhibits the central nervous system of the student who could otherwise tend to take over and encourage rushing over bar lines into downbeats.’
- ‘That is absurd, because the bar line is a notational, not a musical, matter.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.