Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A diagram in which the numerical values of variables are represented by the height or length of lines or rectangles of equal width.
- ‘The above bar graph shows the shift in education of new Alberta RN graduates over the past decade.’
- ‘Indeed, an accompanying bar graph illustrated what many of us have suspected all along.’
- ‘By now, they should all have made a simple bar graph.’
- ‘High-speed computers convert imagery into a bar graph that charts the pixels, dots of pure black to pure white and all of the grays.’
- ‘We did line plots, bar graphs, and box-and-whisker plots using paper and pencils and graphing calculators.’
- ‘Clicking on the bar graph at the top of the page allows you zoom in on smaller time periods, right down to a single month.’
- ‘These are combined and shown both in actual numbers and as ratios in the bar graph.’
- ‘This concept is represented in a bar graph pictured in the students ' workbooks.’
- ‘I always find that it helps to have eye-catching, multicolored graphics such as pie charts, bar graphs and compliance scorecards.’
- ‘Spring vs fall sales were also compared using stacked bar graphs.’
- ‘These can be replicated by bar graphs.’
- ‘In newspapers, magazines and on television, we are overwhelmed with statistics; writers report deaths in numbers, disease in bar graphs and crimes on flow charts.’
- ‘Bar graphs are often used to compare related data at a given point in time.’
- ‘The height of the columns varied, allowing the work to appear like a meandering bar graph.’
- ‘In general, the results showed that proportion and scaling had an asymmetric integral relation for stacked bar graphs.’
- ‘Actually, I wasn't guessing; I've seen your bar graphs, or ones like them, before.’
- ‘Once people have grasped the concepts, the bar graphs can be used in financial planning and accounting.’
- ‘Just in case I still thought this a trivial trend, Komlos put a final bar graph in front of me.’
- ‘Colorful bar graphs track the gas consumption.’
- ‘However, we really need to look a bit more closely at the bar graph.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.