One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
An attractive woman employed to encourage customers to buy drinks at a bar.
- ‘I tell the bar girl to fetch him the good stuff from the small casks, not the maroon vinegar we serve the churls, then sit next to him.’
- ‘Expect leather armchairs, log fires, ambient music and a sexier-than-thou bar girl serving anything from absinthe to whiskey.’
- ‘Here's the street where I saw the bar girl come whirring up on her Vespa, and her eyes got wide when she recognized me.’
- ‘Anne Meyers was the favorite bar girl of the Lamb & Flag pub.’
- ‘But after falling out with Roger, she drifts on her own initiative into life as a bar girl.’
- ‘In other words, I was a bar girl, there to party and work the system.’
- ‘I spent three years as a bar girl servicing American sailors in the Philippines after I was rejected as editor of Vogue, two weeks after I left university.’
- ‘There are cases where girls were forced into prostitution or made to work as a bar girl.’
- ‘Sahara has an episodic series called ‘Kadam’ on Fridays which did a story on a Mumbai bar girl the other night.’
- ‘The spectacular set and props include a real helicopter and an 18-foot statue for the Ho Chi Minh scenes as part of the story of a US soldier who falls in love with a Vietnamese bar girl.’
- ‘‘We haven't got any strawberries, unfortunately,’ the bar girl replied.’
- ‘She plays a bar girl whose bustiers keep getting tinier, and someone who keeps Salman able company in more ways than one.’
- ‘Typically, a soldier would go to one of Phenix City's bars and be greeted by a friendly bar girl.’
- ‘Satake, however, has his own reasons for keeping his libido on ice despite his complicated feelings for the Shanghai bar girl Yamamoto he himself had been pursuing.’
- ‘Lucy, our head bar girl left tonight and everyone else went on to a club afterwards with her to say goodbye.’
- ‘Suzie Wong, the bar girl created by British writer Richard Mason, was a symbol of Hong Kong, a meeting point of Oriental and Western cultures.’
- ‘We lost our last bar girl a couple of weeks ago, and since you have no male, you'd make a wonderful replacement…’
- ‘A successful bar girl can earn far more than a teacher, nurse or civil servant.’
- ‘The Good Woman of Bangkok, his 1991 documentary about his relationship with a Thai bar girl, is almost certainly the most written about Australian documentary of recent years.’
- ‘Hawa the bar girl, speaking of village life, told her interviewer that if she had been treated by her father like the half-sister whom he tortured, she would have poisoned him.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.