One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A personal name given at baptism.
forename, christian name, given nameView synonyms
- ‘His baptismal name was Eugenio - in gratitude for the help the Pope gave to Jews during the war.’
- ‘The chamberlain, or camerlengo, then calls out to the pope three times by his baptismal name.’
- ‘Many others derive from baptismal names, e.g., Jakubau, Haponau, Kazimirau, or such diminutives as Jakubionak and Hapanionak.’
- ‘Taken together, these two points amply justify the important place that the ecumenical church has accorded the baptismal name in its liturgical practice and dogmatic traditions.’
- ‘His baptismal name was John, but he took the name Robert when he became king.’
- ‘Living on the fringes of Melbourne bohemia, he absorbed a love of French literature and exchanged his baptismal name, John Feltham, for the more exotic Jules François.’
- ‘Parents, seizing the wrong end of the stick, at once saw Eric as the ideal baptismal name, to the ultimate dismay of its recipients.’
- ‘We are all addressed by our baptismal names by the risen Lord and invited, like Mary Magdalene, into a relationship with God our Mother and Father, into a relationship with Christ's God and our God.’
- ‘In the presence of the household he strikes the forehead of the dead pope three times with a silver mallet, calling him by his baptismal name.’
- ‘He didn't like his baptismal name, Gideon, so at the age of 14 he had it legally changed to plain George.’
- ‘The former Groton resident was baptized as Lydia Madeleine, retaining her original baptismal name.’
- ‘Guthrum's coins bore his English baptismal name, while other coins minted in East Anglia were copies of the coins of Alfred of Wessex.’
- ‘The next year she entered the Church of England, taking the baptismal name Rebecca, and married John Rolfe, one of her tutors.’
- ‘Hence, there must be some other personal proper name that backs up the baptismal name of the Trinity.’
- ‘The priest uses the child's baptismal name for the first time and asks God to cleanse away sin.’
- ‘With 80 years gone since Larkin's subject (then trading under his baptismal name of Eric Blair) was at large in the area, the scent has gone somewhat cold.’
- ‘His baptismal name was James Daley - Victor was a later invention.’
baptismal name/bapˈtizməl ˌnām/
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.