Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
1A weight in boxing and other sports intermediate between flyweight and featherweight. In boxing it ranges from 112 to 118 pounds (51 to 54 kg)
- ‘He has been campaigning in the junior flyweight, flyweight and junior bantamweight divisions, destroying every opponent with frightening aplomb.’
- ‘The North West's other contenders are all Liverpool based - bantamweight Mark Moran, light middleweight Paul Smith and light heavyweight Courtney Fry.’
- ‘So the Europeans tend to dominate the categories other than flyweight, featherweight and bantamweight.’
- ‘But Ncita laughed off the Tanzanian's assertion saying his charge was the best fighter from the junior bantamweight to the junior featherweight divisions.’
- ‘The provisional squad has light-flyweight Gabriel Kabwe, bantamweight Lovemore Tembo and featherweights Otis Bwalya, Jonathan Mwila, Victor Kaonga, Tendai Shumba and Abias Silupumbwe.’
- 1.1A boxer or other competitor weighing from 112 to 118 pounds (51 to 54 kg)
- ‘He said the tournament had also attracted female pugilists, adding that the Copperbelt would contribute bantamweights Charity Mobola, Sally Mwape and Ireen Mwanagoma.’
- ‘After the Games he turned pro and was later ranked eighth amongst the world's best bantamweights.’
- ‘You could imagine bantamweights Martin ‘the Dynamo’ Cullen and Brendy Howlin buzzing around one another in a flurry of punches, some of them below the belt.’
- ‘With only six competitors in the class, the bantamweights were the smallest group any way you look at it.’
- ‘‘King believes Makeba is the best in the world from the mini-flyweights to the bantamweights,’ Mtya said.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.