One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1A weight in boxing and other sports intermediate between flyweight and featherweight. In boxing it ranges from 112 to 118 pounds (51 to 54 kg).
- ‘But Ncita laughed off the Tanzanian's assertion saying his charge was the best fighter from the junior bantamweight to the junior featherweight divisions.’
- ‘So the Europeans tend to dominate the categories other than flyweight, featherweight and bantamweight.’
- ‘The provisional squad has light-flyweight Gabriel Kabwe, bantamweight Lovemore Tembo and featherweights Otis Bwalya, Jonathan Mwila, Victor Kaonga, Tendai Shumba and Abias Silupumbwe.’
- ‘The North West's other contenders are all Liverpool based - bantamweight Mark Moran, light middleweight Paul Smith and light heavyweight Courtney Fry.’
- ‘He has been campaigning in the junior flyweight, flyweight and junior bantamweight divisions, destroying every opponent with frightening aplomb.’
- 1.1 A boxer or other competitor weighing from 112 to 118 pounds (51 to 54 kg).
- ‘You could imagine bantamweights Martin ‘the Dynamo’ Cullen and Brendy Howlin buzzing around one another in a flurry of punches, some of them below the belt.’
- ‘He said the tournament had also attracted female pugilists, adding that the Copperbelt would contribute bantamweights Charity Mobola, Sally Mwape and Ireen Mwanagoma.’
- ‘‘King believes Makeba is the best in the world from the mini-flyweights to the bantamweights,’ Mtya said.’
- ‘After the Games he turned pro and was later ranked eighth amongst the world's best bantamweights.’
- ‘With only six competitors in the class, the bantamweights were the smallest group any way you look at it.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.