One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Argue pointlessly or rudely.‘don't bandy words with me, Sir!’
exchange, swap, trade, interchange, barter, reciprocate, pass back and forth, give and takeView synonyms
- ‘Meantime, while academicians bandied words, many applied politicians saw Cannan's Law clearly, and used it to further their ends.’
- ‘Unable to bandy words any longer, he took the phone away from his ear and hit the ‘end’ button, then placed the phone carefully back in its cradle on the desk.’
- ‘Tired of bandying words with this charlatan, I allow my fury to seep into my eyes.’
- ‘Afraid it was Dan, back to bandy words once more, she whirled suddenly.’
- ‘Do not bandy words in your insolence with the Mouth of Sauron!’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.