One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
An endless saw, consisting of a steel band with a serrated edge running over wheels.
- ‘The iMac keyboard is pretty sturdy and if you are careful you can actually lop almost a quarter inch off each end with a bandsaw, without cutting anything crucial.’
- ‘When the company introduced the bandsaw is still a mystery, but there are no ship saws listed in their 1888 catalog.’
- ‘This is the sort of pattern one might expect from a bandsaw, with the slant resulting from the forward feed of the block.’
- ‘A hacksaw or metal cutting bandsaw is the tool to use here.’
- ‘Between bouts of running a portable bandsaw mill and helping local people and businesses with computer problems, he tries to find time to play the violin and cello.’
- ‘Need to cut a length of tube steel out in the scrap pile, but don't want to dig the steel out and haul it to a shop bandsaw?’
- ‘Mr Stockting, a bandsaw operator, said: ‘This has got to stop.’’
- ‘Use a bandsaw to cut the radius to a depth of no more than 1-1/4 inches.’
- ‘Robert cuts the tubes into 3-inch lengths with his bandsaw.’
- ‘At the heart of most shops, you can find a heavy-duty table saw or bandsaw, a thickness planer, and a jointer.’
- ‘They're all made with bandsaws and have strings.’
- ‘The tools used comprise the usual suspects: hoists, tongs, routers, chainsaws, bandsaws and chisels.’
- ‘The bandsaw, which was used to cut large pieces of meat and bone, was situated in the shop's main walkway, where people regularly passed by.’
- ‘The upper bearing is made with revolving shaft running in adjustable bearings, same as our regular bandsaws.’
- ‘This shaft powered a bandsaw, a lawn mower sharpener, an emery wheel grinder, a disc sharpener, a forge blower, and a trip hammer.’
- ‘The professionals often speed the process up with a bandsaw, but these have a tendency to waste a lot of bowstaves until you know what you're doing.’
- ‘Her father was a bandsaw operator, and her mother looked after Mrs Austin and her two sisters.’
- ‘In this exhibition, Terry Maker showed a dozen wall sculptures dated 2000 or 2001, most made of painted canvas rolled up into skinny tubes and cut in short lengths with a bandsaw.’
- ‘The firm has also recently taken delivery of a new 60 ins bandsaw which can handle most large logs, and serves other woodworkers in the area.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.