One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A player or conductor at the head of a musical band.
- ‘John Barry returned to York earlier this year to receive the Freedom of the City and recalled with affection the bandleader and trumpeter Johnny Sutton.’
- ‘It's kind of a burden being the bandleader and writing the songs.’
- ‘Smith was a prolific early-twentieth-century Chicago musician who served as a teacher, a bandleader, and composer.’
- ‘In 1885 he started a journal for bandleaders, The Metronome.’
- ‘Eventually, that evolved into paying off bandleaders to feature their music on late-night radio broadcasts.’
- ‘Goodman was one of the first big-name bandleaders to feature African American musicians in his ensemble.’
- ‘But Handy did indeed become a musician, albeit a commercial bandleader playing light classical music and the popular songs of the day.’
- ‘Clearly a musical talent, Warren became the pianist and bandleader for the Everly Brothers for the next two years.’
- ‘Smokey Robinson was one of the heroes of our age: singer, songwriter, bandleader, producer, businessman.’
- ‘All of these writers would benefit from rethinking their definitions of a musician; in these books the term is generally limited to signifying singers, songwriters, and bandleaders.’
- ‘I can make enough as a bandleader and itinerant musician to eke by, supplemented with the occasional website construction gig here and there.’
- ‘In 1972 he signed a contract with Milestone Records where he developed as a bandleader and solo acoustic pianist, winning two Grammy Award nominations.’
- ‘Singers, composers and bandleaders have been drawing inspiration from all the borders of the sea to enliven and enrich their recipes.’
- ‘Ives had worshipped his father, a bandleader who was always trying to ‘stretch’ his ears with unusual sounds.’
- ‘The switching of the power axis from one brother's writing to the other wouldn't be a problem though, if Mick weren't still the bandleader and chief songwriter.’
- ‘Local musical icon Joey Lewis celebrates 50 years as a bandleader this year.’
- ‘As soon as the bandleader raised his baton, we stood up and my husband led me onto the floor.’
- ‘I'm the bandleader, and he's one of the musicians.’
- ‘He dislikes classical music and refers to him throughout as a bandleader.’
- ‘The album begins very quietly, with a careful dialogue between piano and percussion, the bandleader establishing his preference for fleeting cymbal caresses and detailed woodblock clusters.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.