One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A region with a comparatively warm climate.
- ‘When high peaks are buried in snow, valleys on the lea side are often banana belts - areas of warmer than expected weather.’
- ‘But it's an unusual pocket of warmth, resulting from marine effects and a coastline that curves inland, that has helped to earn this area a reputation as the banana belt of Oregon.’
- ‘It also thrives in the banana belts of the inland valleys if they are well enough protected.’
- ‘In fact, some slopes are called banana belts, because they remain frost-free much longer than valley floors, which may be subjected to hard frosts.’
- ‘Alaskans, with what passes for humour, call this relatively temperate south-eastern corner of their state ‘the banana belt’.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.