One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A North American poplar tree which yields balsam.
Populus balsamifera, family Salicaceae
- ‘For some distance, the highway passed through boreal forest, where white spruce and balsam poplar are the dominant species.’
- ‘Forest canopy layer was dominated by trembling aspen and white spruce, but also contained some black spruce and balsam poplar.’
- ‘Other less-common tree species included black spruce, jack pine, and balsam poplar.’
- ‘The leaves of balsam poplar are particularly showy when the wind blows, exposing their rust-colored lower surface.’
- ‘White spruce forest also includes paper birch and balsam poplar.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.