1The study of therapeutic bathing and medicinal springs.
- ‘Modern balneology started in the beginning of the 20th century after a thorough study of mud and lye properties.’
- ‘Shuleva and her German counterpart further mapped out prospects to exchange experience in balneology.’
- ‘Gradually, the accent on recreational tourism promotion has changed, towards specialised forms of tourism - cultural, historical, balneology, village and ecological tourism.’
- ‘It is sad to view balneology tourism as a medical practice, based on the origin of the word balneology (in medicine).’
- ‘This means that Bulgaria ranks amongst the leading countries in the world in terms of balneology.’
- 1.1another term for balneotherapy
Mid 19th century: from Latin balneum bath + -logy.
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.