Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
1The study of therapeutic bathing and medicinal springs.
- ‘Shuleva and her German counterpart further mapped out prospects to exchange experience in balneology.’
- ‘Modern balneology started in the beginning of the 20th century after a thorough study of mud and lye properties.’
- ‘It is sad to view balneology tourism as a medical practice, based on the origin of the word balneology (in medicine).’
- ‘Gradually, the accent on recreational tourism promotion has changed, towards specialised forms of tourism - cultural, historical, balneology, village and ecological tourism.’
- ‘This means that Bulgaria ranks amongst the leading countries in the world in terms of balneology.’
- 1.1another term for balneotherapy
Mid 19th century: from Latin balneum bath + -logy.
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.