One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A baseball player.
- ‘It was not long before Hispanic ballplayers earned their well-deserved place in the cradle of American baseball.’
- ‘All the great ballplayers have struck out a lot of times.’
- ‘Every ballplayer's dream is to win the World Series and hit a home run.’
- ‘In case my point was missed, I'll put it plainly: Babe Ruth is the greatest ballplayer of all time because he set both batting and pitching records.’
- ‘Clemente will always be remembered as a big-time ballplayer… and perhaps one of the best baseball players ever.’
- ‘As we celebrate Robinson's arrival and what it meant to baseball and this country, his absolute talent as a ballplayer is well worth remembering.’
- ‘Westrum enjoys talking about the ballplayers of his day.’
- ‘Because baseball is virtually an every day sport, ballplayers often react on habit.’
- ‘Before Clyde, there had been some ballplayers who went directly from high school to the major leagues, but few faced the pressure cooker Clyde did.’
- ‘Puerto Rico, Mexico and Venezuela now had ballplayers playing for major-league teams.’
- ‘Hell hath no fury like a ballplayer scored out of a base hit he feels he deserves, or charged with an error he feels he doesn't.’
- ‘I really believe that they need to bring in more players who have been there, ballplayers who have been successful.’
- ‘My heroes were ballplayers, and every spare minute I had, and even some that I couldn't spare, were spent on the baseball diamond.’
- ‘At that time, ballplayers worked during the winter.’
- ‘Most ballplayers are loath to admit they swing for the fences, but they're lying if they say they don't savor the moment when it happens.’
- ‘He believes in building a ball club out of ballplayers.’
- ‘Among things they do share, though, is an off-season conditioning program so demanding that few ballplayers work harder.’
- ‘Only two other Christmas-born ballplayers who have appeared in the majors are still active in organized ball.’
- ‘The vast majority of Americans followed baseball and ballplayers.’
- ‘But it's a deeply flawed squad, built on the faulty premise that star ballplayers remain healthy and productive forever.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.