One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A baseball player.
- ‘He believes in building a ball club out of ballplayers.’
- ‘Among things they do share, though, is an off-season conditioning program so demanding that few ballplayers work harder.’
- ‘I really believe that they need to bring in more players who have been there, ballplayers who have been successful.’
- ‘As we celebrate Robinson's arrival and what it meant to baseball and this country, his absolute talent as a ballplayer is well worth remembering.’
- ‘Clemente will always be remembered as a big-time ballplayer… and perhaps one of the best baseball players ever.’
- ‘In case my point was missed, I'll put it plainly: Babe Ruth is the greatest ballplayer of all time because he set both batting and pitching records.’
- ‘Every ballplayer's dream is to win the World Series and hit a home run.’
- ‘All the great ballplayers have struck out a lot of times.’
- ‘Hell hath no fury like a ballplayer scored out of a base hit he feels he deserves, or charged with an error he feels he doesn't.’
- ‘It was not long before Hispanic ballplayers earned their well-deserved place in the cradle of American baseball.’
- ‘Because baseball is virtually an every day sport, ballplayers often react on habit.’
- ‘My heroes were ballplayers, and every spare minute I had, and even some that I couldn't spare, were spent on the baseball diamond.’
- ‘The vast majority of Americans followed baseball and ballplayers.’
- ‘Only two other Christmas-born ballplayers who have appeared in the majors are still active in organized ball.’
- ‘Before Clyde, there had been some ballplayers who went directly from high school to the major leagues, but few faced the pressure cooker Clyde did.’
- ‘Puerto Rico, Mexico and Venezuela now had ballplayers playing for major-league teams.’
- ‘Most ballplayers are loath to admit they swing for the fences, but they're lying if they say they don't savor the moment when it happens.’
- ‘At that time, ballplayers worked during the winter.’
- ‘But it's a deeply flawed squad, built on the faulty premise that star ballplayers remain healthy and productive forever.’
- ‘Westrum enjoys talking about the ballplayers of his day.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.