One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A decorative cardboard box, slightly larger at the top and with broad flaps, in which chocolates are sold.
- ‘We have five beautiful favor designs in this ballotin candy box favor collection which are available as do-it-yourself favor kits.’
- ‘Weighing 500g and containing approximately 35 chocolates selected from a wide range of shapes, flavours and fillings no two ballotins will be the same.’
- ‘This beautifully giftwrapped ballotin contains a unique range of 14 handmade truffles, pralines and crème fraîche chocolates.’
- ‘The company employs two artists to handpaint with individual design each of the wooden ballotins in which the chocolates are boxed.’
- ‘You'll find an impressive selection of containers for these delicacies, ranging from ballotins to luxurious mahogany ‘bureaus’ containing ‘drawers’ filled with chocolates.’
- ‘Custom flavors and colors for ballotins and ribbons are available.’
- ‘They kindly obliged, and brought them back in a golden little ballotin, those thin cardboard boxes that are used to pack chocolates and other sweet delicacies.’
- ‘Allow us to choose a delicious assortment or personalise your ballotins with chocolates of your own selection.’
- ‘It is possible to have the ballotins personalized.’
- ‘His wife, Louise, had the idea of packing them in the folding, oblong boxes, or ballotins, which are still used to package and protect these gourmet delights.’
- ‘Unwrap this gift and find a special gold standard ballotin, filled with the best Belgian pralines.’
- ‘The ballotin will need to be animated, i.e. the two lids will need to open up.’
- ‘In addition to 1/2 pound and one-pound elegant gold ballotins, we also offer a 4-piece box suitable as a sweet gesture for colleagues or friends.’
- ‘Available in four trend-friendly shades, our classic ballotin boxes beg to hold two decadent truffles (small or large, your pick).’
- ‘The Platinum prepacked ballotins are available in 295g - 475g - 680g and contain a selection of the new Godiva chocolates.’
French, from ballot ‘a small package of goods’.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.