Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A decorative cardboard box, slightly larger at the top and with broad flaps, in which chocolates are sold.
- ‘The Platinum prepacked ballotins are available in 295g - 475g - 680g and contain a selection of the new Godiva chocolates.’
- ‘Custom flavors and colors for ballotins and ribbons are available.’
- ‘We have five beautiful favor designs in this ballotin candy box favor collection which are available as do-it-yourself favor kits.’
- ‘You'll find an impressive selection of containers for these delicacies, ranging from ballotins to luxurious mahogany ‘bureaus’ containing ‘drawers’ filled with chocolates.’
- ‘It is possible to have the ballotins personalized.’
- ‘The company employs two artists to handpaint with individual design each of the wooden ballotins in which the chocolates are boxed.’
- ‘His wife, Louise, had the idea of packing them in the folding, oblong boxes, or ballotins, which are still used to package and protect these gourmet delights.’
- ‘Weighing 500g and containing approximately 35 chocolates selected from a wide range of shapes, flavours and fillings no two ballotins will be the same.’
- ‘Allow us to choose a delicious assortment or personalise your ballotins with chocolates of your own selection.’
- ‘This beautifully giftwrapped ballotin contains a unique range of 14 handmade truffles, pralines and crème fraîche chocolates.’
- ‘They kindly obliged, and brought them back in a golden little ballotin, those thin cardboard boxes that are used to pack chocolates and other sweet delicacies.’
- ‘The ballotin will need to be animated, i.e. the two lids will need to open up.’
- ‘In addition to 1/2 pound and one-pound elegant gold ballotins, we also offer a 4-piece box suitable as a sweet gesture for colleagues or friends.’
- ‘Available in four trend-friendly shades, our classic ballotin boxes beg to hold two decadent truffles (small or large, your pick).’
- ‘Unwrap this gift and find a special gold standard ballotin, filled with the best Belgian pralines.’
French, from ballot a small package of goods.
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.