One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A mortgage in which a large portion of the borrowed principal is repaid in a single payment at the end of the loan period.
- ‘A balloon mortgage is one of the many non-traditional mortgages available to real estate buyers.’
- ‘It might help to compare balloon mortgage financing side by side with standard fixed rate mortgage financing.’
- ‘Many borrowers of balloon mortgages refinance their loan before the balloon payment is due.’
- ‘At the time of this writing, I am not aware that any lenders are offering balloon mortgages in jumbo loan amounts.’
- ‘Most balloon mortgages are for 3 to 7 years.’
- ‘The advantage of a balloon mortgage is that you get the stable payment of a fixed-rate loan, but have the flexibility of a short-term loan.’
- ‘The balloon mortgage is a fixed-rate mortgage with a shorter term than traditional mortgages have.’
- ‘The 7-year balloon mortgage is for those who relocate regularly or who plan to stay in their home for less than seven years.’
- ‘A balloon mortgage is a non-amortizing loan and does not pay itself off at the end of the loan term.’
- ‘The lender may also reserve the option to call the loan due with 30 days notice at that time, making this loan similar to a balloon mortgage in some cases.’
- ‘The most common balloon mortgage terms are 5 years and 7 years.’
- ‘Some balloon mortgages feature a conversion option at the end of the initial period.’
- ‘With a 5 year balloon mortgage, the term is 5 years, but the payments will be calculated on a 30 year term.’
- ‘Unlike many other mortgages, balloon mortgages do not pay themselves off at the end of the loan term.’
- ‘A balloon mortgage has a lower rate and lower monthly payments than a fixed-rate mortgage.’
- ‘The most popular balloon mortgages have a fixed rate period of either five or seven years with a thirty-year amortization and no pre-payment penalty.’
- ‘At the due date, you can either refinance the balloon mortgage or pay it off in cash.’
- ‘Qualifications for a balloon mortgage vary depending on the lender you choose, but most require at least a 20% down payment.’
- ‘The 5 year balloon mortgage will have the same interest rate and payment for the first 5 years of the mortgage.’
- ‘Choose a balloon mortgage loan for substantially lower initial rates, or if your credit limits the other types of mortgage that you can apply of qualify for.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.