One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A skilled ball player, in particular a football or basketball player adept at stealing or intercepting the ball or an outfielder in baseball skilled at catching fly balls.
- ‘He is a top-flight shooter, a good help defender, an ideal fast-break companion to Marbury and an underrated ballhawk.’
- ‘Both are ballhawks that study more film than most other defensive players.’
- ‘What they do have is a group of aggressive ballhawks who anticipate well.’
- ‘Smith, a ballhawk, will play in center field, and the team hopes to get more interceptions and pass breakups.’
- ‘He is just 27 years old and is known for being a ballhawk.’
- ‘Edwards always has been a leader and a ballhawk, and he can play inside or outside.’
- ‘The Vikings, takeaway-happy ballhawks a year ago, still don't have an interception and have to get after QB David Carr in order to win.’
- ‘He such an instinctive player, a ballhawk in that sense.’
- ‘As evidenced by his seven interceptions this season, he's a ballhawk who has a knack for popping up in unexpected places.’
- ‘Not only was he a ballhawk and a game-breaker, but he emerged as the leader of a Baltimore defense that was rich in talent.’
- ‘Now Green is a ballhawk who ranks among the better strong safeties as a pass defender.’
- ‘Free safety is open, but Scott is not a ballhawk and not a good fit there.’
- ‘But he won a starting job late in preseason and has been a hard-hitting ballhawk (four interceptions).’
- ‘Cota was a noted ballhawk during his first four years in the league with the Panthers and Saints, collecting 11 interceptions.’
- ‘But those game-breakers complement a first-rate defense in Tampa, a rapidly developing one in Atlanta, and some ballhawks in New Orleans.’
- ‘He has always been a good ballhawk and rebounder for his size.’
- ‘He has speed and instincts to be a ballhawk, and has picked off almost a pass a day.’
- ‘He also must be more of a ballhawk on plays downfield, although those opportunities may be limited.’
- ‘The most intriguing matchup will take place at the point, where both squads start pass-first freshmen who are great defensive ballhawks.’
- ‘He is a ballhawk if there ever was one, but it remains to be seen whether he can repeat this kind of performance.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.