One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A woman's elaborate full-length dress suitable for wearing to balls and similar social gatherings.
- ‘She had placed some diamond pins in her hair and was dressed in an elaborate black and white ball gown.’
- ‘She was, to my untutored eyes, a shining goddess wearing a ball-gown.’
- ‘Women were wearing ballgowns, men were trussed up in evening jackets.’
- ‘Women in ball gowns were hoisted in endless lifts above the heads of soldiers who played their cards in a blur.’
- ‘Often the clothing included such items as business suits, ball gowns, and high-heeled shoes.’
- ‘This gives her precious little time to find a ball-gown.’
- ‘Maybe I was still hoping she would present me with some of her discarded ball gowns.’
- ‘She trusts me to choose her ball gowns.’
- ‘Every time I walk past a bolt of silk, I envision it pleated into a fantastic ball gown.’
- ‘Kit turned back to her and laced up the back of her pink ball gown.’
- ‘Forced into ball gowns at every opportunity, she looks ready for a Vogue photo shoot.’
- ‘And when they returned to competition, they were done for good with the ties, tails, and the ball gowns of old.’
- ‘Take a lovely young woman in a red turn-of-the-century ball gown.’
- ‘She emerged from the banquet room dressed in a scarlet ball gown that fit every curve of her torso.’
- ‘On it was a picture of a lady in a ballgown by a window.’
- ‘I pretended I was a princess sweeping down the stairway in my ball gown.’
- ‘Suddenly, Elizabeth was dressed in the most beautiful silver ball gown she had ever seen!’
- ‘A true princess style can encompass a range of ball gowns.’
- ‘It looked for all the world like a real Cinderella doll wearing a beautiful pink ballgown.’
- ‘The only item left to arrive was a ball-gown that she was having made at Mr. Darcy's request.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.