One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A light, round-toed shoe with very flat heels for women or girls, resembling the type worn by ballet dancers.
- ‘An alternative shoe style which will make a surprise appearance in 2006 will be ballet shoes.’
- ‘Old photographs show the elfin Audrey Hepburn and pouting Sophia Loren being personally fitted by him; and the company still produces a ballet shoe called the Audrey.’
- ‘I particularly like the black satin ballet shoes on the left.’
- ‘Vogue lists the trench coat, the bag, the white shirt, the jeans, the ballet flat, the biker jacket, the cashmere cardigan, the little black dress, the tuxedo and the watch as wardrobe essentials.’
- ‘I reckon that size nine ballet pump you are wearing covers that stain nicely.’
- ‘I wore my eighth-grade graduation dress and ballet flats.’
- ‘But I'm usually in jeans, ballet shoes and a jumper stolen from Jamie.’
- ‘Next, I was swayed by the cutest ballet shoes.’
- ‘But all the basics of a French woman's wardrobe were there, from the slim, cropped black trousers worn with ballet pumps to the beige macs, crisp white shirts and elegant navy knitwear.’
- ‘I wore my black ballet flats with them, just to keep it kind of casual.’
- ‘She came to the shoot in jeans, a white tank, black ballet flats and a black knit shawl.’
- ‘Though I love ballet flats, they're just not practical in winter.’
- ‘The kitten heel offers both feminine grace and womanly comfort, as do ballet flats.’
- ‘I grabbed a pair of black ballet flats and leapt through the door after quickly brushing my hair.’
- ‘But she had matching midnight blue ballet shoes, A-line skirt and shoulder bag, and the courage to wear a clashing turquoise wool-knit cardigan.’
- ‘But times are changing, and this summer, women will be slipping off their stilettos in preference for fashionable - and more comfortable - flats such as moccasins, flip-flops and ballet pumps.’
- ‘Accessorise with a fake-fur stole, a smudge of eyeliner and sparkly ballet pumps.’
- ‘She may find it difficult to find shoes that fit (ballet shoes with pink bows do not count).’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.