One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A valve that automatically fills a tank after liquid has been drawn from it. Used, for example, in a flush toilet, a ballcock has a float on the end of a pivoting arm that opens the valve when the arm drops.
- ‘A poke here, a jab there and suddenly the bizarre piece of plastic that had wedged the ballcock in the upright position causing the cistern to not refill fell away and it filled up.’
- ‘I can't even remember if the problem to do with the header tank and the problem to do with the ballcock stop valve were connected, physically or metaphorically.’
- ‘They went to a house in Longship Way, Maldon, and told the owner they were there to fix the ballcock in the loft.’
- ‘Place the new ballcock through the hole in the tank.’
- ‘Two other reasons for flushing problems could be that the flush valve or the ballcock need to be replaced.’
- ‘If a replacement ballcock has been installed, make sure that the water level in the tank is no less than 1/2 inch below the top of the overflow tube on the flush valve.’
- ‘Finally, as the evening cooled, Graham took himself up to the loft to replace the worn-out ballcock float and valve that's been giving us a problem for some time.’
- ‘He obtained a ballcock of a WC, welded it to a spike, and persuaded the Dockyard to cover it with gold leaf - an expensive procedure!’
- ‘‘I remember being on the top of a ladder trying to hang up giant holly berries made out of - would you believe - lavatory ballcocks,’ he chuckles.’
- ‘It reminded me more of Claes Oldenurg's 1967 proposal for a monumental ballcock in the Thames.’
- ‘The device that caused the scare was later said to have been a ballcock from a bathroom cistern, packed with fireworks.’
- ‘However, this Capone turned out to be nothing more sinister than a plumber, more used to fitting ballcocks than firing a Tommy gun.’
- ‘From these, the water was piped to a ballcock regulated cistern, and from there to a small pond constructed of cement and limestone rocks to blend in with the surroundings.’
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.