One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A girl who retrieves balls that go out of play during a game such as tennis or baseball, and who supplies players or umpires with new balls.
- ‘The 12-year-old schoolgirls will be running out onto the pitch at the Millennium Stadium in Cardiff as ballgirls for the FA Cup final between the Reds and Millwall.’
- ‘Perhaps it would be called a balk today because the ballgirls were conspirators.’
- ‘The elements bow to no man or woman, as ballgirls preparing for one of the UK's most prestigious tennis championships found to their cost.’
- ‘They hand out awards to members of the impressive squad of Altrincham ballgirls and boys.’
- ‘To say the least, the ballgirls were memorable, and the prize giveaways to fans were… unusual.’
- ‘But this was the playoffs, and her reign as ballgirl was ending after this pressure-packed evening.’
- ‘Then I realized that she was the ballgirl for the Sox and that I knew her from being on the field.’
- ‘I was a ballgirl for a professional men's tennis tournament for a couple of summers in junior high.’
- ‘One after another bulleted serves rained in, one of which took out a ballgirl, leaving her with a bruise as a souvenir and Rusedski's match shirt as an apology.’
- ‘The USTA has try-outs this June to become a ballboy or ballgirl at the US Open.’
- ‘Mary Ann, a fourth-grader at Our Lady Fatima, is the Panthers’ ballgirl and hopes to play basketball there one day.’
- ‘Kristine O'Hara, in her third year as a ballgirl, finds herself in a completely new role.’
- ‘Felipe was one of four kids from the program chosen to be ballboys and ballgirls for the Davis Cup.’
- ‘As usual all the ballgirls plus their coach will get free admission into any game that they are working.’
- ‘Out of these talks grew a program in which members of the CC women's basketball team tutor and serve as mentors to fifth-graders who, in turn, act as ballgirls during the CC women's basketball games.’
- ‘And I was the official ballgirl (if there is such a term).’
- ‘I think he was intentionally banging the ball into the net to get the pretty ballgirl to run out.’
- ‘The Phillies are looking to hire a staff of twelve ballgirls who can represent the organization in media situations as well as perform duties on the field.’
- ‘With Neil's question of what I would do as owner of the Cubs, I realized I had forgotten one vital thing: I would bring back the ballgirl to Wrigley Field!’
- ‘When pitchers get taken out of the game, they walk right past the ballgirls and do their sprints on the warning track as the game is being played.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.