One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A natural or manufactured joint or coupling, such as the hip joint, in which a partially spherical end lies in a socket, allowing multidirectional movement and rotation.
- ‘The shoulder, a ball-and-socket joint, can move in almost any direction, says certified trainer Jennifer Zerling.’
- ‘This forces your front deltoids to work through a fuller range of motion, one only possible via the ball-and-socket joints of your shoulders.’
- ‘The hip is a true ball-and-socket joint, where the ball of the femur is securely cradled in a deep socket of pelvic bone called the acetabulum.’
- ‘Each spine is tucked into a ball-and-socket joint, and attached to that joint is a muscle at the base, which allows the spine to swivel around and aim it at passing predators looking for a meal.’
- ‘Hollows are very different in shape and size, so each camera was attached to a ball-and-socket joint to allow us to adjust the orientation of cameras inside the hollow.’
- ‘‘The rotator cuff is the ball-and-socket joint of your shoulder, and it's made up of four muscles,’ says Kevin O'Leary, D.C.’
- ‘Action Man was a jolly sight easier to dress on account of having ball-and-socket joints somewhat resembling one of Larry Niven's Protectors.’
- ‘In the effort to minimize material wear, the U.K.-based researchers have created their artificial hip using a combination of ceramics and metal in the design of the ball-and-socket joint.’
- ‘The hip is a ball-and-socket joint where the thigh bone's femoral head fits into the acetabulum of the pelvis.’
- ‘The ball-and-socket joints in your shoulders allow your arms to move in a circular motion next to your body, a semicircular motion away from your body and through all the planes in between.’
- ‘The hip is a synovial, ball-and-socket joint formed by the head of the femur and acetabulum of the coxal bone.’
- ‘These are moved by a system of muscles and linked together by ball-and-socket joints.’
- ‘The hip joint is a ball-and-socket joint because the spherical head of the femur moves inside the cup-shaped acetabulum.’
- ‘Specializations for land walking are mainly found in the forelimbs, including a ball-and-socket joint in the shoulder, like that of mammals.’
- ‘Regardless of the chosen system, a primary THA replaces the proximal femur, including the femoral head, and resurfaces the acetabulum, creating a new ball-and-socket joint.’
- ‘In mountainous areas, the towers were built with one leg shorter than the other and they have ball-and-socket joints at the base.’
- ‘He said: ‘It affects the head of the femur, or, in layman's terms, the ball of the ball-and-socket joint, effectively causing this to die and then re-model itself’.’
- ‘This ball-and-socket joint allows your arms to move in practically any direction you want, be it overhead, sideways, forward, back, or any direction in between.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.