A line on a billiard table marking off an area in which play is restricted.
- ‘More difficult are cushion caroms and balkline, in which restrictions are imposed by lines drawn on the table.’
- ‘Without balklines they cunningly collect the three balls near a cushion and ‘nurse’ them endlessly… click click… click click… scoring indefinitely.’
- ‘Eli took me under his wing and showed me a lot of basic concepts and finer points of making gathers in straight rail and balkline carom billiards.’
- ‘Also, I've put the red, blue, green and black lines in the approximate location of 14’ balklines.’
- ‘Except for the center rectangle, each rectangle formed by the balklines is a ‘balk area.’’