One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A large open-air fire; a bonfire.
- ‘When the media reported the project, it was as if the artist had fired the first virtual balefire in society.’
- ‘Glamour is stored in balefires, which burn in Freeholds, places where Changelings gather.’
- ‘One of the many things that underwent balefire purifications was cattle, which were often led through the balefire's smoke.’
- ‘The balefires have been rekindled by the high king's messengers, and the land awaits the moment when winter will begin to ebb.’
- ‘When both Rand and Moridin let go of the balefire, the two worlds merged, and everything returned to normal.’
- ‘When the solstice lordship settled upon him, he had rousted the minstrels and set great back-alley feasts, lighting the lives of London's poor like a balefire on a barren heath.’
- ‘The Celts would light balefires all over their lands from sunset the night before Midsummer until sunset the next day.’
- ‘These festivities will include the blessing of seeds and driving cattle between two balefires to purify them and promote fertility and growth of the herd.’
- ‘If the Guard knew that, sonny, blood would be shed and balefires lit.’
- ‘Celebrations include dancing and singing around Maypoles and balefires, and flowers are placed about the home.’
- ‘Then on the hill that hugest of balefires the warriors wakened.’
- ‘This gives people a false basis of comparison and a skewed view of how balefire really works.’
- ‘In many parts of the British Isles these balefires are still lighted on Samhain to honor the old ways.’
- ‘Even today, balefires are lit all over Britain and Ireland on May Eve, just as they were in the past.’
- ‘There, their torches were placed in the ground around the sacred circle, often in lieu of the balefires.’
- ‘Coinciding with the moon landing of Apollo 11, the gates of Faerie flood open and Trods and balefires reawaken.’
Old English (recorded in poetry), from obsolete bale ‘great fire’+ fire.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.