Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A white-headed North American eagle that includes fish among its prey. Now most common in Alaska, it is the national emblem of the US.
- ‘Ospreys and bald eagles could lose habitat as well.’
- ‘What were a bald eagle, an owl, a vulture, a falcon and a northern gosshawk doing at the British Association for the Advancement of Science Meeting in Leicester?’
- ‘If we don't take care of the Chesapeake so that fish populations are healthy, the bald eagles won't be healthy, either.’
- ‘Some of the most common birds of prey here, the bald eagle, peregrine falcon, and osprey, are fish-eaters, though the hawk owl is not.’
- ‘Three of the nation's endangered species are here: the bald eagle, the Delmarva fox squirrel, and the peregrine falcon.’
- ‘How many boats going at high speeds are noticing the osprey, bald eagles and alligators?’
- ‘Other birds include a huge American bald eagle called Liberty, buzzards, Harris hawks, vultures, laughing kookaburras and a pelican.’
- ‘The area is home to a variety of other birds, including nesting bald eagles, hawks, owls, bluebirds and several other songbirds, wild turkeys, herons, and waterfowl.’
- ‘If your karma is good and you're having a good day, you may also see bald eagles, northern mockingbirds, scarlet tanagers and indigo buntings.’
- ‘Wildlife viewing is best on the morning run, when passengers often see bald eagles, osprey, deer, and otters.’
- ‘Just months after Edwards Dam was removed, birds such as ospreys, bald eagles, and kingfishers returned.’
- ‘This creek, popular with fishermen, also is a good spot to sight ospreys and bald eagles.’
- ‘In 1987 a raptor biologist working on Lake Umbagog observed a bald eagle with a yellow tag in its wing.’
- ‘One of the protected species is the bald eagle, our national bird.’
- ‘Other ESA-listed birds that occur off northern Washington are the bald eagle, brown pelican, and snowy plover.’
- ‘Predators of barracuda include such birds as bald eagles and terns.’
- ‘Early morning is a great time to observe wildlife, and very soon we saw moose, bald eagles, red foxes, and ptarmigan.’
- ‘Good fishing for sportsmen and women also means good fortune for those who must feed their families almost entirely by fishing - loons, ospreys, bald eagles and cormorants.’
- ‘Disturbance can also cause nest abandonment in shy species, including bald eagles and white-tailed sea-eagles.’
- ‘The presence of bald eagles likely prevented golden eagles from establishing themselves.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.