Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
An action or activity that requires a delicate balance between different situations or requirements.‘our balancing act between working more to buy luxuries and having enough leisure to enjoy them’
- ‘He has been trained in Belgium and has mastered the virtuoso balancing act his employment requires.’
- ‘He says the change is designed to be a delicate balancing act between the rights of employers and employees.’
- ‘For instance, managers often perform a delicate balancing act when seeking support for a venture.’
- ‘The role is a balancing act between different interests and the manager will sometimes have to take a longer view than traders.’
- ‘The present situation demands a delicate balancing act from Martin, too.’
- ‘Cattarin performs a delicate balancing act that allows each of the ingredients to speak.’
- ‘Your relationship with your team should be a delicate balancing act.’
- ‘The achievement has been remarkable, and involved a delicate balancing act.’
- ‘These are not linear processes and there are few cleverer balancing acts than pursuit of an editorial strategy.’
- ‘It is surprising how much of a delicate balancing act creating a business plan really is.’
- ‘So it is a delicate balancing act that the newspaper publisher must play.’
- ‘It all makes for a unique and delicate balancing act, they all admit, but it works.’
- ‘Here is a perfect example of the delicate balancing act that is required when making decisions on use of the green belt.’
- ‘This is a delicate balancing act between the need to support police and the need to prevent abuses of power.’
- ‘The balancing act required is a delicate dance between playing the waiting game and taking action.’
- ‘It's a balancing act that requires continuous adjustments, but the point is that it can be done.’
- ‘The achievement of rapport between interviewer and respondent is therefore a delicate balancing act.’
- ‘Painful compromises are necessary from both sides and a delicate balancing act is needed to break years of mistrust.’
- ‘They do so through delicate balancing acts of simultaneously embracing and rejecting both femininity and hegemonic masculinity.’
- ‘I don't see this as a conflict so much as a balancing act between two paradigms.’
balancing act/ˈbalənsiNG akt/
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.