Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
1A narrow horizontal bar raised off the floor, on which a gymnast balances while performing exercises.
- ‘They will also be introduced to the equipment (e.g., vault, balance beam and uneven bars).’
- ‘This is achieved with a simulation of a balance beam to tell you how the weights relate.’
- ‘She also earned perfect tens in competition twice on the uneven bars and once on the balance beam.’
- ‘Maybe it was that she fell off the balance beam in one of our exhibitions.’
- ‘The mat was used when Lindsey was learning the front tuck mount onto the balance beam.’
- ‘Although kids don't usually use a balance beam for long periods of time, they will use it regularly.’
- ‘Circe and Alex both stood up and began walking down the branch gymnasts on the balance beam.’
- ‘However, Romania roared back after strong performances on the balance beam and floor exercise.’
- ‘She fell off the balance beam in the semi-finals at the Worlds and finished seventh on floor at the World Cup.’
- ‘Vitkova, who is suffering from a slight ankle injury, fell off the balance beam following a side somi.’
- ‘Richardson's best performance was a 9.500 effort on the balance beam on day two.’
- ‘Fan Ye of China performs on the balance beam during World Championship of Gymnastics at Arrowhead Pond in Anaheim, California, Monday.’
- 1.1[in singular]The set of exercises performed on a balance beam.
- ‘In the event finals, she won the gold medal on balance beam, tied for fourth place on uneven bars, and placed eighth on vault.’
- ‘She also placed third on floor exercise, fourth on balance beam and sixth on vault.’
- ‘Unfortunately, Krausz never did get over her disastrous balance beam performance.’
- ‘She also won her fourth consecutive European title on uneven bars, and finished second on balance beam.’
- ‘After two subdivisions, Postell was ranked second on vault and fourth on balance beam.’
- ‘Men's floor exercise, high bar, parallel bars, and women's vault and balance beam will be contested tomorrow.’
- ‘Russia won vault, Australia won uneven bars, and China was the best on balance beam.’
- ‘Women's gymnastic events include balance beam, uneven parallel bars, combined exercises, floor exercises, vaulting, and rhythmic sportive gymnastics.’
- ‘At the World Cup finals last December, she placed second on uneven bars, fifth on balance beam and sixth on floor exercise.’
- ‘In the event finals, she placed third on balance beam, fourth on uneven bars, and seventh on floor exercise.’
- ‘Raducan earned the top individual scores on balance beam and floor exercise.’
- ‘She had a different look than most gymnasts, and pioneered many moves such as the triple turn on balance beam.’
- ‘In the sixth session, Belarus struggled on vaulting and tumbling but showed beautiful choreography on balance beam.’
- ‘She also placed first in the all-around and on vault, second on balance beam and floor exercise, and fourth on uneven bars.’
- ‘Except for a few missed connections on balance beam, Van de Leur was near perfect throughout the evening.’
- ‘Karen topped off the meet with golds on vault, balance beam, and floor exercise.’
- ‘She finished fourth on uneven bars and fifth on balance beam.’
- ‘She worked most aggressively on balance beam, sticking her acrobatics and double pike dismount.’
- ‘She won individual gold medals on vault and uneven bars, the silver medal on balance beam, and the bronze medal on floor exercise.’
- ‘Competing in all four event finals, Harmes placed first on vault, balance beam and floor exercise.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.