One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
(in parts of Asia) a small sum of money given as alms, a tip, or a bribe.
present, donation, offering, contribution, handout, presentation, bestowal, largesse, alms, charity, bonus, award, premium, bounty, boon, favour, bequest, legacy, inheritance, settlement, subsidy, grant, endowment, benefactionView synonyms
- ‘By the time we finished, a small group of children had gathered around our car and they called out in Arabic, ‘baksheesh! baksheesh!’’
- ‘In the old days the uncertainty provided a lucrative source of supplemental income for town-hall bureaucrats who would tip you the wink for a little discreet baksheesh.’
- ‘He explained: ‘I love baksheesh because it gives me certainty and predictability.’’
- ‘Elders make an income by taxi driving and baksheesh from tomb guardianship.’
- ‘Since the average baksheesh for foreigners is between 10 and 20 leva, I am well ahead of the game.’
Based on Persian baḵšīš, from baḵšīdan ‘give’.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.