One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
(in parts of Asia) a small sum of money given as alms, a tip, or a bribe.
present, donation, offering, contribution, handout, presentation, bestowal, largesse, alms, charity, bonus, award, premium, bounty, boon, favour, bequest, legacy, inheritance, settlement, subsidy, grant, endowment, benefactionView synonyms
- ‘Since the average baksheesh for foreigners is between 10 and 20 leva, I am well ahead of the game.’
- ‘In the old days the uncertainty provided a lucrative source of supplemental income for town-hall bureaucrats who would tip you the wink for a little discreet baksheesh.’
- ‘He explained: ‘I love baksheesh because it gives me certainty and predictability.’’
- ‘Elders make an income by taxi driving and baksheesh from tomb guardianship.’
- ‘By the time we finished, a small group of children had gathered around our car and they called out in Arabic, ‘baksheesh! baksheesh!’’
Based on Persian baḵšīš, from baḵšīdan ‘give’.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.