Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A dried preparation of yeast used or suitable for use as leaven.
- ‘Scientists have discovered an ingredient in red wine that extends the lifespan of baker's yeast by up to 80 per cent.’
- ‘The Alpha Project will focus exclusively on the pheromone signal pathway in baker's yeast, whose cells' signal-transduction system is quite similar to ours.’
- ‘My postdoctoral advisor was primarily responsible for the laboratory domestication of the baker's yeast, Saccharomyces cerevisiae, which thanks to his efforts is now a favorite organism of geneticists around the world.’
- ‘Each vial contained 8 ml of food (1% agar, 0.1% propionic acid, 10% brewers yeast, and 10% glucose) seeded with a few grains of live baker's yeast.’
- ‘For example, the genome of baker's yeast, Saccaromyces cervisiae, contains 34 Krüppel-related zinc finger genes, whereas the human genome contains 564 such genes.’
- ‘Although fission yeast appears to express an actinin (or at least an actinin - like protein) baker's yeast does not.’
- ‘A maximum-likelihood method is developed to estimate the duration of concerted evolution and the time to the whole-genome duplication event in baker's yeast.’
- ‘Don't get the vaccine if you're allergic to baker's yeast.’
- ‘In lower eukaryotes such as baker's yeast, recombinational repair is the major pathway for DSB repair, while in higher eukaryotes, such as mammals, NHEJ is the major pathway.’
- ‘Unlike sourdough starters, which are inhabited by many different species of wild yeast, baker's yeast is made from a single hyperactive species that produces a uniform product in a relatively short period of time.’
- ‘In the baker's yeast, Saccharomyces cerevisiae, a derivative of strain S288c was sequenced.’
- ‘However, he switched from Arabidopsis to Saccharomyces cerevisiae - baker's yeast, an easier system to study.’
- ‘There are currently four trials in progress examining the effect of selenomethionine or high-selenium baker's yeast on specific populations of prostate cancer patients.’
- ‘They hypothesised that what was killing baker's yeast was actually a substance in the yeast.’
- ‘The third group represents proteins evolving before the separation of baker's yeast and fission yeast.’
- ‘Humans have some 30,000 protein coding genes, compared with 6,000 in baker's yeast, 13,000 in the fruit fly, 18,000 in a worm and 26,000 in a plant.’
- ‘All flies were reared on standard cornmeal molasses medium supplemented with baker's yeast.’
- ‘In contrast, the two nitrogen-rich media are also known as nonsporulating media for both the baker's yeast and C. neoformans.’
- ‘But media proclamations that we are not much more complicated than baker's yeast are very misleading, as is the superficial equation that we are only twice as complicated as a fruit fly.’
- ‘Curing was done using D. subobscura as a host on a live baker's yeast patch on agar.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.